The BIST way
A very strong community
based on learning
Introducing Key Stages 1 and 2
We would like to wish you a warm welcome to the British International School of Tunis. We are delighted that you have chosen our school for your child’s educational journey. Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential.
At BIST Primary School, we have created a learning environment that is lively, fun and challenging, with a classroom atmosphere that generates a real enthusiasm for learning. Our aim is to build a strong foundation, not just in the academic sense, but also to further the creative and moral development of children.
Growing through learning
Growth is part of life, emotionally, physically, and even academically. Regularly measuring our students’ growth and success in the classroom helps our teachers set learning objectives and plan accordingly to fit the needs of every student.
The curriculum of England and Wales
In terms of academics, we follow the English National Curriculum, and are the first school in Tunis to be accredited by the Council of British International Schools (COBIS).
This means your children will receive some of the best education Britain can offer. Each class has a dedicated teacher, educated up to the British standard, who teaches the core curriculum of English, Maths and Sciences, along with supplementary classes in Humanities (History and Geography), Sports (Physical Education) and PSHCEE (Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship and Economic Education).
Our work involves ensuring access to the curriculum, raising self-esteem and valuing bilingual children and young people’s linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
We have Tunisian teaching assistants, all with English degrees, ready to offer additional support to the pupils.
Within the classroom, children are regularly and consistently assessed, to ensure we can offer the best personalised education that suits the pace of the pupils, and to set realistic and attainable goals for everyone, however high or low they may be.
Our Key Stage 1 & 2 Teachers
Primary Deputy Head
Head of English
Special Educational Needs Coordinator
Year 6 Teacher
- 10 years teaching experience in the UK
- 4 years teaching experience in the UAE in various roles from Head of English, Head of Primary Education and Advisor to the Ministry of Education
Beverley loves the family feel at BIST – with every teachers knowing every child’s name and how the needs of the whole child are catered for, not just academic ones.
Year 1 Teacher
- BSc (Hons) in Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Led a training programme for children with physical and mental difficulties
- Worked as a Learning Support Assistant in schools in the UK for children with behavioral issues
- Worked in a specialist Special Educational Needs centre
Tom enjoys working at BIST because of the many different cultures and backgrounds of the children and their great behavior.
Year 2 Teacher
- Certified by the Positive Discipline Association (PDA)
- Computer Science Diploma
- Professional Educator Diploma from the American University in Cairo (AUC)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate from Nottingham College
- IPGCE from Sunderland
- Master’s Degree in International Schools Education
What makes her special is her dedication and commitment to teaching and to make sure that all her students grow socially and academically to prepare them for their future careers. She is creative and has her special ways to bring the best out of each child.
Year 3 Teacher
- 12 years of teaching experience
- Masters in Science Communication from the University of the West of England
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) from Plymouth University
Her experience of teaching in international schools has shown her how our differences can be celebrated and she believes in making the classroom a nurturing place where children can embrace their mistakes.
Year 4 Teacher
- Bachelor of Education from the Liverpool John Moores University, specialising in Sport Development and Inclusion
- She has previously worked with children with special educational needs and behavioral difficulties, coached sports teams and clubs, volunteered at schools and orphanages teaching English
Clodagh hopes to promote independent learners, who acquire the necessary skills to lead a happy, healthy and successful lifestyle.
Year 5 Teacher
- Bachelor of Education Degree at Froebel College in London, specialising in computer-and-game based learning systems
- Previously worked with private agencies and NGOs on multimedia projects supporting primary and adult education, as well as health and environmental education projects
Raphael’s favorite thing about teaching is inspiring his pupils to become kinder, smarter and more aware of their responsabilities as stewards of the planet.
Melanie De Klerk
Year 6 Teacher
- 39 years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education from the Goudstad Teachers Training College in South Africa and RAU University in South Africa
Melanie is a firm believer in organising and delivering personalised learning to nurture every pupil and to help them to become the best they can be – reaching their full potential. For Melanie, the classroom should be colourful, interactive and inspiring, fostering independence and enquiry.
English as an Additional Language Coordinator
- 8 years of teaching experience
- CELTA qualified from the International House of Izmir
- Bachelor of English, Literature and Civilisations from the Higher Institute of Language of Tunis
- TKT Cambridge Certificate from the British Council in Tunisia
Sabrine is convinced that there is nothing like seing the spark of understanding on a child’s face as a lesson clicks for them. For her, teaching is the most rewarding career!
- BA degree in Modern Languages (English, Spanish, Arabic) from the Bourguiba Institute of Foreign Languages
- Master’s degree in Applied Linguistics from the Higher Institute of Languages of Tunis
- Holds a CAPES teaching certificate
What Narjess likes most about her role is seeing her pupils learn and develop and also contributing to raising their conscience towards human values and cultural diversity by being informed about the local culture including history, literature, famous authors, legends, songs and poems.
- 7 years of teaching experience
- Master Degree in Applied Linguistics from the Higher Institure of Languages of Tunis
- TOEFL, TEFL and IELTS Certifications
Marwa’s ambition is to be a teacher with the ability to inspire students so she can be long remembered. She wants to inspire students by ensuring their success and encouraging them to fulfill their potential. Her lifelong professional motto is that a teacher that inspires is a role model, an influence that goes far beyong academic acheivement.
- 9 years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business English
- IELTS Certificate
- TEF Certificate
Rahma has a true passion for working with our youngest learners!! Helping each child progress in all areas of their development —academic, social and language— is a challenge that Rahma is honored to accept daily. She strives to create a community of learners that brings up this growth in a positive, fun environment.
French Teaching Assistant
- Bachelor’s Degree in English Language and Literature
- TEFL Training
- TKT Cambridge Certificate
- Experience working in secondary and international school settings located in Tunis and taught English grammar to beginners at UAPS (Université Arabe Privée des Sciences)
Emna loves working at BIST because she loves working with the kids and helping them complete and understand their tasks.
Social and Emotional Mental Health Teaching Assistant (SEMH)
- 27 years experience as a Behaviour Specialist as well as a Educational Specialist for students with special needs
Graduated in :
- Special Care Counselling from the Vanier College Dec
- Independent Studies Field of Education at Concordia University
- Education Specialist from the Online International School
What Maria enjoys the most is seeing the positive changes in the students. She wants them to feel secure and confident, while making them have a positive outlook. While acheiving these goals, Maria knows she has made a difference in their lives. When the children go home happy, Maria esteems she has achieved one of her goals.
An insight into Key Stage 1 & 2
Admissions for children ages 6+
The assessment procedure for older pupils joining the school will involve a more formal assessment in addition to the reception of the applicant’s full previous school reports (last two years) prior to the scheduled entry assessment date.
The test that we administer is the Cognitive Abilities Test (CAT4); a diagnostic assessment that helps our teaching staff to understand the pupil’s current level. Pupils sit a tailored assessment according to the age and the year group that they will be entering. Prior preparation is not required, and the assessment is in multiple choice format, requiring the use of a computer with internet access, and headphones or speakers in order to follow the audio instructions.
To further evaluate the level of each applicant, some additional assessments may be required in the intention of planning accordingly.
The results help teachers decide what pace of learning is right for each student, whether a specific syllabus would be required, and whether additional support is needed.
At the British International school of Tunis, we recognize the importance of finding the right school for your child and offer as well the possibility to conduct our assessments from the confort of your home to able families abroad to conduct all necessary steps to secure their child’s enrolment at BIST.